The best time of the year: shopping, gingerbread and Christmas markets. Visiting Berlin in summer is a breeze, but it can be cold and grey in winter. But still, Berlin is well worth a visit, and especially so in winter. That’s why we want to share our best Berlin tips for the cold season.
1. Berlin’s Christmas markets
There is all kinds of Christmas markets in Berlin – from romantic to urban to Scandinavian. The choice is yours. These are our picks:
- Berlin's biggest Christmas market in Spandau
- Berlin's most beautiful Christmas market at Gendarmenmarkt
- The Christmas market in front of the imposing backdrop of Schloss Charlottenburg
- Scandinavian food and Nordic traditions at the Lucia Christmas market in the Kulturbrauerei
- The Christmas market at Jagdschloss Grunewald, the oldest palace in Berlin
You want them all?
All Christmas markets
2. Shopping in Berlin
Take advantage of the Christmas season in Berlin to hunt for presents in the city’s many shopping centres, markets and designer boutiques.
- Berlin's shopping streets with individual shops
- Shopping centres with a great selection
- Traditional German Christmas decorations, craft items from the Erzgebirge and hand-painted products from Käthe Wohlfahrt’s own design studios in the shop on Kurfürstendamm
- Unusual gift ideas and unique handcrafted items at the Nowkoelln Christmas market
- Fashion, jewellery, accessories and much more at Holy Shit Shopping
And don’t forget: the shops in Berlin have special Sunday openings on the first and third Sunday of Advent on 3rd and 17th December 2017.
Shopping in Berlin
3. Festive events in Berlin
When it’s cold outside, all the more goes on indoors. Berlin has a huge amount to offer when it comes to cultural activities – be it opera, shows, concerts or something entirely different. The top events in the winter of 2017/18 are:
- At the Deutsche Oper: The Nutcracker
- Find highlights for children
- Pure goosebumps: gospel concerts in Schöneberg
- The most beautiful Christmas and winter shows, including the Roncalli Christmas Circus and the Friedrichstadt-Palast
Event calendar for Berlin
4. Exhibitions in Berlin
Berlin's museums are packed with fascination exhibitions. These are our picks:
- 1917.Revolution in the Deutsches Historisches Mueseum
- Die Ufa - Geschichte einer Marke
- Wenzel Hablik - Expressionistische Utopien at the Martin-Gropius-Bau
- A 12-metre-long original skeleton of a Tyrannosaurus rex at the Naturkundemuseum
5. Cozy restaurants for your Christmas dinner
You can save those stressful hours in the kitchen and rather take your family out for a nice Christmas dinner. In Berlin there are plenty of cozy restaurants with special Christmas menus for you - from fondue to roast beef. Here are our tips:
You want more restaurants?
All restaurants in the Chrismas season
All info for the Christmas season in Berlin