Yes, the Berlin winter is often grey and cold. And due to the Corona restrictions, which will apply until 22 December for the time being, this winter will still be a very special challenge. So here are our best Berlin tips for the cold season. Because we think: Berlin is also a place for peace and contemplation - and even more so in winter.
1. Berlin winter walks
Many places unfold a particularly romantic magic in winter: the air is cold and clear, the atmosphere calm and contemplative. Here are our highlights:
- A romantic excursion to the oldest castle in Berlin, the Grunewald Hunting Lodge
- Enjoy the winter sun with a walk around the Schlachtensee
- Along the Spree through Mitte and the government quarter - of course with a mulled wine to go Berlin
- Travel back in time to the 600 year old fishing village of Rahnsdorf
- Walking through the hilly Schönholzer Heide, wrapped up warm
You want the full range?
2. Shopping in Berlin
Take advantage of the Berlin Christmas season to go on a gift hunt. There are shopping centres, markets and individual design shops.
- Berlin's shopping streets with individual shops
- Shopping centres with a great selection and numerous Christmas activities
- Traditional German Christmas decorations, craft items from the Erzgebirge and hand-painted products from Käthe Wohlfahrt’s own design studios in the shop on Kurfürstendamm
- A different kind of Christmas market: On the website of Christmas Market Berlin, Berlin designers offer a small, fine selection of jewellery, clothes and works of art.
- Delicious and fresh ingredients for the Christmas menu can be found in Berlin's covered markets.
And don’t forget: the shops in Berlin have special Sunday openings on the first and third Sunday of Advent on 6th and 20th December 2020.
3. Festive events in Berlin
When it's cold outside, the inside is especially nice and cosy. Enjoy contemplative and entertaining hours at home. Here are our Christmas tips for you.
- The Konzerthaus Berlin will put you in the mood for the Christmas season musically under the hashtag #LetItSound. In addition to Christmas playlists and Christmas karaoke online, you can win a mini performance by the brass ensemble in your front garden or backyard. #konzertAUSSERhaus tour is planned for 17 and 18 December.
- This Christmas the services from the Berlin Cathedral (Berliner Dom) will also be broadcast online. If you want to be there live, you must register in advance. The same applies to the traditional nativity play and the Christmas concert.
- The Stadtmuseum Foundation also streams Christmas sounds live from the Nikolaikirche every Advent Sunday from 4 pm
- The performances of the Moscow Classic Ballet are streamed live from the Theater am Potsdamer Platz. Please order tickets for The Nutcracker and Swan Lake in advance online.
- The popular traditional exhibition with nativity scenes and advent calendars of St. Nikolai can be found digitally this year. Open a new door every day.
- Under the motto "Home for Christmas", the Sony Center invites you to festive concerts, readings and do-it-yourself workshops on the four Sundays of Advent.
4. Exhibitions in Berlin
The Berlin museums are closed for the time being. But you can still experience art and culture from Berlin. Let yourself be inspired by the numerous digital offers of the cultural and museum world. We recommend these exciting exhibitions:
- You can already explore the BERLIN GLOBAL exhibition in the Humboldt Forum online in a total of eleven digital themed rooms. It's all about revolution and war, free space and borders, pleasure, fashion and interweaving. The joint exhibition will officially open its doors on 16 January.
- On Berlin's Museum Island, you can discover more than 6000 years of human history - even virtually. Under the motto 'Open 24/7' you can visit all 15 collections of the National Museums in Berlin around the clock.
5. Cozy restaurants for your Christmas dinner
You can save those stressful hours in the kitchen and rather take your family out for a nice Christmas dinner. In Berlin there are plenty of cozy restaurants with special Christmas menus for you - even for take away and home delivery. Here are our tips:
You want more restaurants?