The Berliner Weihnachtszeit is one of the most diverse Christmas markets in Berlin. Nostalgia seekers, funfair lovers and ice-skating junkies get their money’s worth here.
The Berliner Weihnachtszeit will once again take place this year between the Rotes Rathaus (Berlin City Hall) and St. Marienkirche The Christmas market, which in comparison to other Christmas markets is still very new, has many highlights in store: Here you can immerse yourself in the Berlin of 1900. Traders and artisans sell their goods on the Old Berlin market lane. The lane façades are original illustrations of Berlin houses from around 1900.
Journey back in time to the Middle Ages
The medieval market around St. Mary’s Church invites you on a journey through time: fresh bread is baked in the medieval bakery, in the tavern the landlord serves hot mead in clay jugs, in secluded corners you can dine in the old medieval style and a life-size nativity scene as well as Christmas services in the church remind you of the Christmas story.
Ice skating, carousels and a 50-metre-high panoramic Ferris wheel
High above the nostalgic backdrop towers the landmark of Berlin at Christmas time: the 50-metre-high panoramic Ferris wheel. From closed panoramic gondolas you have a wonderful view of the Christmas hustle and bustle in the big city.
Berlin’s most beautiful ice rink invites young and old to ice skate around the Neptune fountain. Those with their own skates can even glide round this unique round track free of charge. At specific times there is also an ice rink show that thrills spectators.
Santa Claus flies through the Berlin skies on his sleigh three times a day for all young and young-at-heart Christmas market visitors.
Funfair lovers will get their money’s worth at the foot of the television tower: historical children’s carousels up to 100 years old and the nostalgic chain carousel for all make the Berliner Weihnachtszeit an unforgettable experience.
Special culinary delicacies
Visitors are also well catered to from a culinary point of view: whether smoked salmon, Handbrot (stuffed bread), baked apples or different variations of bratwurst, there is something special for everyone here. In heated mulled wine lounges, Berlin originals and surprise performances delight guests.
© visitBerlin, Foto: Dagmar Schwelle
Berliner Weihnachtszeit at the Rotes Rathaus
Highlights of the Berliner Weihnachtszeit
- The 50-metre-high panoramic Ferris wheel: The world-famous landmark of Munich’s Oktoberfest can be found in Berlin during the Christmas season
- The Old Berlin market lane: Façades from 1900
- The circular ice rink: the only one of its kind
- Berlin originals entertain guests in heated mulled wine tents
- Medieval market around St. Mary’s Church: Immerse yourself in times long past
Our tips for your visit to the Berliner Weihnachtszeit
Ride the panoramic Ferris wheel: Enjoy the view of Unter den Linden, the Brandenburg Gate and Potsdamer Platz.
Together with your children, wait eagerly for Santa Claus: At 4:30 pm, 6:30 pm and 8:30 pm daily he flies through the skies on his sleigh. You can also have souvenir photos taken with Santa Claus in the photo house by the big Christmas tree.
Perhaps you would like to combine your Christmas market experience with a visit to the numerous museums around Museum Island, which are just a stone’s throw away.
Opening hours and entrance fees
- Date: 23 November 2020 – 4 January 2021
- Opening hours: Monday – Friday 12 pm -10 pm, Saturday – Sunday 11 pm -10 pm, Christmas Eve closed, Christmas Day and Boxing Day 11 am - 9 pm
- Free admission
You will find the Christmas Market at the foot of the television tower between the Rotes Rathaus and St. Marienkriche in Berlin-Mitte. We recommend you visit us using public transport.
- S-Bahn (overground train): S3, S5, S7, S9, S75 Alexanderplatz
- U-Bahn (underground train): U2, U5, U8 Alexanderplatz
- Tram: M4, M5, M6, M10 Spandauer Straße/Marienkirche
- Bus: 100, 200, M4, M48, TXL Spandauer Straße/Marienkirche, 248, M48 Berliner Rathaus
All Berlin Christmas markets at a glance