The “most beautiful organ in Berlin” was one of the few organs to survive the destruction of the Second World War. Between 1947 and 1949, the Alexander Schuke organ building workshop (Potsdam) made many changes. The pneumatic action was replaced by an electro-pneumatic one, and the disposition was brought closer to the baroque sound principle. In 1957, 1970 and 1985 the organ was modified again with the aim of bringing the disposition back to its original condition.
After the organ repeatedly malfunctioned, the cold winter of 1996 caused such severe damage that repairs no longer made sense. Therefore, a convincing solution could only be found in a new building, for which the well-known Strasbourg organ building workshop Daniel Kern was commissioned in 1999.
Due to the very well-preserved case front by the Berlin sculptors Johann Georg Glume and Paul de Ritter and the fact that Wagner pipes were still present in a number of registers, this new building was built according to Joachim Wagner's overall concept and disposition from 1721.
Admission free, donations requested
Except on holidays