A Messenger project of the Berlin Wall Foundation
It's October 1961, Micha is 13 years old and on the run across the Berlin Wall. In the new digital project of the Berlin Wall Foundation, you can accompany Micha in real time - via WhatsApp, Telegram or iMessage.
During the construction of the Wall in the summer of 1961, Micha is at a holiday camp and observes life in the divided city after his return. After his brother flees in September, he also dares to escape with his father: Through the sewers under Checkpoint Charlie, shortly before US and Soviet tanks threaten each other there.
From 10 August to the beginning of November, Micha regularly sends texts, pictures and voice messages, taking the recipients with him into his everyday life in divided Berlin and during the preparations for his risky escape.
Supplementary news from the editorial team provide insights into the historical background. In addition, short animated explanatory films explain central events in an easily understandable way in less than a minute. The first film, which will be released on the anniversary on 13 August, is about the construction of the Wall 62 years ago. In mid-September, the focus is on everyday life with the Wall. On 28 October, on the anniversary of the tank confrontation at Checkpoint Charlie, it is about its historical background.
Saturday, October 28, 2023
- 3 p.m.: Overview tour: Of tanks, escapes and everyday border life. Guided tour of the border crossing at Checkpoint Charlie.
- 4 p.m.: Special guided tour: Micha's escape. On the traces of an escape story at Checkpoint Charlie 1961
Sunday, October 29, 2023
- 11 a.m.: Guided tour: Of tanks, escapes and everyday border life. Overview tour of the border crossing at Checkpoint Charlie
- 11 a.m.: Special guided tour: Micha's escape. On the traces of an escape story at Checkpoint Charlie 1961
- 3 p.m.: Eyewitness talk: Micha's escape at Checkpoint Charlie: Talk with Michael Synowzik and the team behind the Messenger project Message from Micha
Registration takes place via the website.