Expert guided tour on the history of construction and use
In 1542, construction work began on a new electoral hunting lodge at what is now Grunewaldsee. The builder Joachim II Hector (1505-1571) had previously had Grimnitz Castle in the Schorfheide and Bötzow Castle (today Oranienburg) converted into hunting lodges. Grunewald was lavishly furnished and used intensively until Joachim's death in 1571.
After extensive renovations at the beginning of the 18th century, the palace was used, with interruptions, as a hunting lodge for the Prussian kings and German emperors until the beginning of the 20th century. Today it is the oldest palace building in Berlin and has served as a museum since the 1930s.
(Program in German)
Reduced price: €6.00