Architectural guided tour
The history of the building at the end of Rheinsteinstrasse begins in 1935 with the construction of a larger ensemble of buildings for the Wehrmacht. In 1945, the former officers' mess of the almost undestroyed Fortress Pioneer School becomes the scene of the unconditional surrender to the victorious powers. Various Soviet occupation authorities move into the Karlshorst district
. In 1967, the building begins to be used as a museum. The Soviet Army establishes the "Surrender Museum". In 1995, this becomes the Museum Berlin-Karlshorst. The phases of use of the house become visible in numerous places. Above all, the traces of the Soviet culture of remembrance are impressively preserved.
(Program in German)
Meeting point: In front of the museum building