For Germans, May is the real start of summer, usually with 2-3 long weekends (1 May, Ascension Day, Whitmonday). And Berlin's offering many different events for the first week of May.
We have described some of the highlights here.
Dance in the 1st of May
In May you can dance in numerous clubs around the city on April 30.
- The Kulturbrauerei starts the long party night on 9 floors with a big fire in the courtyard.
- Also in the Kalkscheune there is different music on several floors.
- In the Club Weekend you have a great view over the city while partying and dancing.
- In the Autistic Disco in the Schaubühne, character mime Lars Eidinger plays.
- In the theatre hall of the ufaFabrik, the band Django Lassi with their gypsy swing creates a cheerful atmosphere.
The German Trade Union Confederation also holds its classic May Day rally, followed by a children's and family festival on Straße des 17. Juni with food, drinks, games, and a giant bouncy castle.
Neuköllner Maientage transforms Volkspark Hasenheide into a colourful festival with rides and food stands from 27 April to 21 May.
Tip: every Saturday at 10 pm, the sky above the park turns into the stage for a wonderful firework display.
With about 700 stands on 25,000 m² there will be a huge flea market at Berlin's Ostbahnhof on 1 May.
Here you will find antiques, art, design interiors as well as vintage and second-hand goods.
Collectors and traders also gather on the day of work at the Oldthing Collectors fair in Berlin's Ostbahnhof.
The Berlinische Galerie presents the photographs of the series "Stadtrand Berlin" for the first time on 1 May. On the occasion of the 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall photographs of the Wall from 1993/1994 can be seen.
The Urban-Dance-Crew FLYING STEPS and the Brazilian artist duo OSGEMEOS have created a new performance at the Hamburger Bahnhof. They combine art, music and dance performance and merge the genres into an incomparable work of art.
And in the Ufer Studios the 7th NOW! Festival 2019 for Action Theater™ & Improvisation takes place.
To find out what else is happening on May Day in Berlin, check out our calendar of events.