The Museum Berlin-Karlshorst is a place of world historical importance: in the museum building, the High Command of the German Wehrmacht signed the unconditional surrender in front of representatives of the Soviet Union, the USA, Great Britain and France on the night of 8-9 May 1945.
This followed the general consent to an armistice on May 7th at the American-British headquarters in the French city of Reims. The surrender at the Soviet headquarters in Berlin-Karlshorst was the ceremonial act that sealed the common victory of the anti-Hitler coalition and with which the Wehrmacht leadership recognized their complete defeat - this ended the Second World War in Europe. The hall where the signing took place has been preserved to this day. It forms the heart of the museum.
The Second World War began on 1 September 1939 with the German attack on Poland. It ended on 8 May 1945 in Europe and on 2 September 1945 in Asia. Never before did a war cause the death of more people and more destruction. This is especially true for the war of conquest and annihilation led by the German Reich against the Soviet Union starting on 22 June 1941. The permanent exhibition documents this war from the perspective of both parties, German and Soviet.
As part of the Museum Sunday, you can receive the audio guide free of charge on request every first Sunday of the month.