On the occasion of the exhibition "Die Kunst der Gesellschaft" (The Art of Society) in the Neue Nationalgalerie, a monthly series of events from September 2022 to July 2023 will discuss social processes of a turbulent time: the German Empire, colonial history, the First World War, the "Golden" Twenties, National Socialism as well as the Second World War and the Holocaust. Based on works by Max Ernst, Emil Nolde and Irma Stern, among others, art historians, artists, writers and experts from other disciplines will build a bridge from the historical exhibition to the here and now in lectures and discussions. For topics such as war, political extremism, poverty, feminism or interculturality are of current relevance for our society today.
With Vincenza Benedettino, Bernhard Fulda, Tanja Penter, Jutta Allmendinger, Sonja Eismann, Sabina Becker, Derya Binışık, Volker Weiß, Thomas Röske, Javier Téllez, Lisa Hörstmann, Monica Juneja, Yvette Mutumba, Julian Rosefeldt, Tom Tykwer (tbc), Inka Bertz, Eric Otieno Sumba, Alice Hasters and Aya Soika.
The events will take place from September 2022 to June 2023, on the first Wednesday of each month at 7pm, in the lower foyer. Admission is free. Unless otherwise noted, the events will be held in German. Afterwards, the exhibition can be visited free of charge until 10 pm.
- HAFTMANN: Lecture by Vincenza Benedettino followed by a discussion with Bernhard Fulda (Wednesday, 7 September 2022, 7 pm)
- WAR: Lecture by Tanja Penter: War in Ukraine: Intertwined Experiences 2022 and 1941-1944 (Wednesday, 5 October 2022, 7pm)
- POVERTY: Lecture by Jutta Allmendinger: The Many Faces of Poverty (Wednesday, 2 November 2022, 7 p.m.)
- FEMINISM: Sonja Eismann in conversation with Sabina Becker and Derya Binışık (Wednesday, 7 December 2022, 7 p.m.)
- POLITICAL EXTREMISM: Lecture by Volker Weiß: The "Other" Avant-garde: Heroic Realism and Objectivity in the Modernisation of a Political Right (Wednesday, 4 January 2023, 7 p.m.)
- OUTSIDE: Talk with Thomas Röske and Javier Téllez (Wednesday, 1 February 2023, 7 p.m.)
- INTERCULTURALITY: Yvette Mutumba in conversation with Lisa Hörstmann and Monica Junejan (Wednesday, 1 March 2023, 7 pm)
- HISTORY PICTURES: Conversation with Julian Rosefeldt and Tom Tykwer (tbc) (Wednesday, 5 April 2023, 7 p.m.)
- JEWISH CULTURE: Lecture by Inka Bertz: Ludwig Meidner and Jakob Steinhardt: two Jewish artists in the collection of the Nationalgalerie (Wednesday, 3 May 2023, 7 p.m.)
- FREMDHEIT: Eric Otieno Sumba in conversation with Alice Hasters and Aya Soika (Wednesday, 7 June 2023, 7 p.m.)