The gay and lesbian community gets the Advent season in Berlin underway with the LGBTQIA Winterdays and sends out a message for more openness and tolerance.
Protected from wind and rain under the roof of the elevated railway, Christmas Avenue has long since established itself as a popular meeting place in the pre-Christmas season. Here you can experience the diverse life of the capital's LGBTQIA community live on site.
Sales stalls entice you with decorative items, handicrafts and fashionable accessories. You can look forward to colourful, sparkling Christmas lights, an exuberant atmosphere and a selection of hot cocktails and culinary delicacies.
Making a mark together
Together with many actors from politics and the community, glittering lights and an exuberant atmosphere will set a sign against discrimination and exclusion. The aim is to create a special and safe place during the Christmas season where the entire community can feel at home - in the place that has been the entrance to Berlin's Regenbogenkiez for a hundred years. From here you can reach most of the bars and clubs of the scene easily and quickly.
Colourful Christmas market concept
The scene presents itself at many colourful stalls. In addition, there is of course plenty of Christmassy stuff to marvel at, as well as delicious street food, mulled wine and traditional Christmas treats.
Every year, the gay and lesbian community rings in the season of charity with a very special ten-day stage programme in the run-up to Christmas Avenue.
Winterdays with focus on LGBTQIA issues
Traditionally, the community focuses on LGBTQIA issues during the first ten days. From 11 November to 21 November, you will have the opportunity to learn about the special concerns of the scene. During these Winterdays, associations, organisations and initiatives of the LGBTQIA community can present themselves and their cause, use the party hut for free and report on their work on stage. The stage programme will be accompanied by Marie Mondieu.
Tip: From the start of Christmas Avenue on 21 November, you can also book the Party Hut for your personal Christmas party. You can find various packages on the official Christmas Avenue website.
Christmas Avenue stage programme
Once again this year, the Christma Avenue stage programme promises plenty of drag and glory. Performers from the community and, of course, friends of the LGBTQIA community will provide the atmosphere. First and foremost, of course, presenter Marie Mondieu charms with her Belgian-French accent. She will be supported by Norman Shelest, a singer from Ukraine.
- On Tuesday, there are many prizes to be won at Drag Bingo with Margot Schlönzke.
- Every Thursday at 7.30 pm Marie Mondieu invites you to a Schlager Sing-Along with live piano accompaniment.
- On Wednesdays at 7.30 pm, the Avenue Angel will be chosen from all participating drag queens. Anyone who finally wants to show the angel in them, who wants to give a great performance or who simply has something important to say can take part. Registrations by e-mail in advance to Stefan [at]christmas-avenue.berlin
- Sundays will be especially Christmassy. At the Christmas Carol Karaoke, Marie Mondieu will invite brave singers to take to the microphone. And of course there will be presents.
- DJs from Berlin's LGBTQIA club scene will also be on hand to provide entertainment with a colourful and diverse programme: from house and techno to pop and schlager-swinging, it's all there.
Tip: Plan your Christmas evening programme now
Give yourself and your family another very special moment of anticipation for Christmas in Berlin with a glittering Christmas show or a festive concert. We have the most beautiful Christmas events for you. Plan an extraordinary evening after your visit to the Christmas market.
Christmas Events in Berlin
Highlights of the LGBTQIA Winterdays and Christmas Avenue
- Berlin's most colourful Christmas market
- Directly at the Nollendorfplatz covered by the Hochbahn
- Party hut
- Christmas carols karaoke
- DJs from Berlin's LGBTIQA club scene
- Drag bingo with lots of prizes
- Election of the Avenue Angel
- Mulled wine and Christmas treats
Our tips for the LGBTQIA Winterdays
In just ten minutes you can stroll from Nollendorfplatz to the Schwules Museum or get your first presents on a Christmas shopping spree along the Ku’damm. If you are looking for that special something to put under the Christmas tree you are sure to find it in the boutique stores on Fuggerstraße.
LGBTQIA Winterdays opening hours
- Date: Christmas Avenue 21 November to 23 December 2022, LGBTIQ Winterdays from 11 November - 19 November 2022
- Opening hours: Monday to Freitag from 4 pm to 10 pm, Friday to Sunday from 3 pm to 10 pm
- Admission is free
The LGBTQIA Winterdays at Nollendorfplatz are very well connected to public transport. We recommend that you leave the car at home.
- U1, U2, U3, U4 Nollendorfplatz
- Bus lines M19, 106, 187, N2, N26 Nollendorfplatz