With 42 educational and promotional films, the Film Archive of the German Historical Museum owns an important collection of productions made with funds from the European Recovery Program. Some Marshall Plan films from the Filmarchiv have been digitized and edited for online presentation. Announcement texts and filmographic information were added.
After the end of World War II, all of Europe was in need of aid to repair war damage and revive its economy. The European Recovery Program, adopted in 1947, was intended to provide this assistance. It became known as the Marshall Plan, named after former U.S. Secretary of State George C. Marshall.
With the aim of overcoming supply bottlenecks, building up a functioning economy as quickly as possible and thus preventing the spread of communism, the U.S. Congress approved Marshall Plan funds in the amount of $5 billion on April 3, 1948. To propagate and support the European Recovery Program, some well-known U.S. and European directors produced short films for the Marshall Plan administrations of the individual countries, which were intended to convey the principles of a free market economy and democratic principles. Thus, by the end of Marshall Plan activities in January 1952, more than 200 films had been made.