Berlin start-ups and selected fair trade retailers offer special Christmas gifts for sale at the award-winning Environmental & Christmas Market.
On the four Advent weekends, Sophienstraße, right next to the Hackesche Höfe, is transformed into an environmentally-friendly Christmas village where you can buy unique designer and artist goods. The nostalgic and homey atmosphere invites you to linger in the historic city centre.
Traditional environmental Christmas market
For over 20 years, the Environmental & Christmas Market has blended into the scenery of Berlin’s historic city centre in the run-up to Christmas. And just one year after its initial opening in 1995, it won 1st prize in the environmental competition. And the Environmental & Christmas Market also merits the award, as energy-saving electricity is used for the lighting, there are no rides and no excessive neon light.
Over 80 selected fair trade retailers and start-ups from Berlin will be offering unusual Christmas gifts, trendy and hip Berlin design, natural products, organic and fair trade delicacies and other fair trade products for sale at their stands. What is special about this market is that the exhibitors support charity projects in Berlin and abroad.
Culinary classics and international specialities
Your culinary instincts will be indulged with Christmas market classics such as bratwurst, crêpes and mulled wine, but you can also try international delicacies such as pheasant salami, chai banana bread and chai tea.
Theatre, choral music and light artists
Performances from light artists, smaller choirs and action theatre round off the Christmas experience in Sophienstraße.
Highlights of the Environmental & Christmas Market
- Christmas market in one of Berlin’s oldest streets
- Fair trade and organic products
- Design and artist goods
- Selected Berlin cottage industries and start-ups
- Culinary classics and international delicacies
Our tips for your visit to the Environmental & Christmas Market
Buy your Christmas presents here: at the stands of selected retailers and Berlin start-ups you can discover things you can’t buy anywhere else.
After your visit to the Environmental & Christmas Market, explore the Hackesche Höfe and visit one of the many museums on the Museum Island or other sights in Mitte.
Sustainability and social commitment
- Already awarded the 1st prize of the environmental competition in 1996
- Organic and natural products of the highest quality
- Fair trade items
Opening hours and entrance fees
- Dates: on the first three Advent weekends 2023 (2/3 December, 9/10 December and 16/17 December 2023)
- Opening hours: Saturday 12 to 8 p.m., Sunday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Admission is free!
The Environmental & Christmas Market is located in Sophienstraße right next to Hackesche Höfe in Berlin-Mitte. We recommend travelling by public transport.
- S-Bahn (overground train): S3, S5, S7, S9 Hackescher Markt
- U-Bahn (underground train): U8 Weinmeisterstraße
- Tram: M1 U Weinmeisterstraße/Gipsstraße