The Tempelhof railway yard became a typical deserted industrial area when it was shut down gradually after the Second World War. Yet, in the course of just 50 years, a rich natural oasis has come to thrive in the midst of a diverse city. This jungle forest can now be explored by foot.
Certain buildings and structures dating back to the railway era such as the Brückenmeisterei and the water tower are still preserved. The 50 metres water tower, as a symbol , is visible, from a distance. Constructed in 1927 it magnetizes visitors and photographs. With its permanent illumination during the festival of lights it has been a real illuminating spectacle. The 4000-square-foot former locomotive hall has also survived the test of time. The spacious interior, where trains used to be repaired, is quite popular with experimental artists. Whether avant-garde theater of the Berliner Festspiele, dance and performance events organized by young artists, display or backdrop for ambitious filmmakers, the locomotive hall provides the necessary freedom for being creatively active and trying out new things. The main entrance is at the station Priesterweg (city railway).
What the south of Schöneberg has to offer
Before German reunification, Rathaus Schöneberg was the seat of West Berlin’s mayor. Directly beside it you can wander through yet another park, the Rudolph-Wilde-Park.
Find out more about the city’s neighbourhoods with our Going Local Berlin app.
Find further information here