New Diabelli Variations and Piano Sonatas by Beethoven & Schubert
Rudolf Buchbinder once referred to Beethoven’s “Diabelli” Variations as the “leitmotif ” of his artistic life. To commemorate the composer’s 250th birthday in 2020, the Austrian pianist commissioned eleven new variations on Diabelli’s famous waltz from some of today’s leading composers. For his Pierre Boulez Saal debut, he combines these works with Beethoven’s “Appassionata” and Schubert’s final piano sonata.
- Lera Auerbach - Diabellical Waltz
- Brett Dean - Variation for Rudi (on a well-known waltz by Anton Diabelli)
- Toshio Hosokawa - Verlust
- Christian Jost - Rock it, Rudi!
- Brad Lubman - Variation for R. B.Philippe Manoury - Zwei Jahrhunderte späterMax Richter - Diabelli
- Rodion Shchedrin - Variation on a theme by Anton Diabelli
- Johannes Maria Staud - À propos... de Diabelli
- Tan Dun - Blue Orchid
- Jörg Widmann - Diabelli Variation
- Ludwig van Beethoven - Sonata in F minor Op. 57 "Appassionata"
- *** - ***
- Franz Schubert - Sonata in B flat major D 960