Tour of the castle with the castle director Kathrin Külow
In 1542, construction work began on a new electoral hunting lodge at what is now Grunewaldsee. The builder Joachim II Hector (1505-1571) had previously had Grimnitz Castle in the Schorfheide and Bötzow Castle (today Oranienburg) converted into hunting lodges. The hunting lodge "Zum grünen Wald" was lavishly furnished and used intensively by the Elector.
In order to reach the hunting grounds from the Berlin castle, Joachim II had a boulder dam built, which became the forerunner of today's Kurfürstendamm. In 1539 he officially converted to the Protestant faith, but did not officially profess Protestantism until 1563.
By building new palaces and remodeling existing ones and by maintaining a magnificent court, Elector Joachim II was on the one hand a great patron of the arts, but on the other hand he accumulated a huge mountain of debt.
The Grunewald hunting lodge was also used for many years by the Elector's mistress, Anna Dieterich née Sydow. She was the wife of the gunfounder Michael Dieterich and was therefore also called the beautiful foundress.
After the death of Joachim II, his son and successor Johann Georg had her imprisoned in the Julius Tower at Spandau Citadel, where she died. According to legend, she appeared to the Hohenzollerns as a "white woman" and announced her imminent death.
On the occasion of the end of the season, the castle's director Kathrin Külow will lead a tour through the rooms and tell historical and legendary stories about the hunting lodge and its inhabitants.
Reduced price: €6.00