With thousands of lights, the Tierpark Berlin is transformed into a sparkling winter wonderland at Christmas time.
The treetops glitter, the paths are lined with twinkling stars and even the lake shines with festive lights. For more than two kilometres, the sparkling path of lights winds its way through the park grounds around the palace and invites the whole family to take a Christmas stroll. Everywhere the lights sparkle and shine, transforming the otherwise rather bare landscape into an atmospheric winter wonderland.
Ice-skating fun and the scent of Christmas
Right next to the festively illuminated palace façade, arguably the most beautiful ice rink in Berlin invites you to put on your ice skates.
The smell of cinnamon biscuits and other delicacies from the decorated huts of the surrounding Christmas market hangs in the air. After your walk you can enjoy the view of the sea of lights around the palace.
Useful information for ice skaters
- You can bring your own ice skates or hire a pair for a fee
- Use of the ice rink is free of charge for visitors of Christmas in the Tierpark
- The ice rink is closed during the regular Tierpark opening hours
A peaceful Christmas for the animals too
So that the animals can also enjoy a contemplative Christmas season, the sparkling winter experience takes place in a part of the Tierpark housing only a few of the animal enclosures. With the exception of the sparkling illuminated animal lights that line the path, only a few real animals can be seen in the Tierpark at Christmas. The light festival begins as soon as the gates close.
Highlights of the light festival in the Tierpark
- Two-kilometre circular trail
- Around 30 light installations
- 320-square-metre ice rink
- Christmas delicacies
- Berlin premiere: Poetic fire garden
Our tips for Christmas in the Tierpark
Since the winter evenings in Berlin can get quite cold and wet, you should dress warmly and bring waterproof clothing and footwear. Tickets cannot be returned due to bad weather. In contrast to the regular opening hours of the Tierpark, dogs are not allowed during Christmas in the Tierpark.
Christmas in the Tierpark opening hours
- Date: 18 November to 10 January, except 23/24.11, 30.11/1.12 and 24.12 and 31.12
- Opening hours: 17 - 22 o'clock
- Entrance fees (expected): Adults from 15 Euro, children from 12,50 Euro, families from 42 Euro, Flexticket (one time for any day) 22 Euro
- Admission is limited to a certain number of people per hour
- The entrance of Christmas in the zoo is located at Am Bärenschaufenster. Via the entrance gate at the castle only the exit is allowed, but no entrance.
Please note that only the Bärenschaufenster entrance is open for Christmas in the Tierpark.
- U5 Tierpark
- Bus 296, M17 Tierpark stop
- Tram 21, 27, 37, 67, M 17 Tierpark stop
- S5, S75, RB24, RB1 S-Bahn station Berlin Lichtenberg
All Berlin Christmas markets at a glance