Just a six-minute walk from the Königs Wusterhausen S-Bahn station, the Schwartzkopff housing estate in Wildau is not only a destination for excursions, but has long been part of Berlin's Speckgürtel (surrounding region). The former workers' housing estate, which was built in 1918 right next to the factory site, is as full of life today as it was back then. In the former locomotive production halls, 4000 students of the Technical University of Wildau now study and research. Today's residential complexes were awarded the special award "Monument Protection in Housing" („Denkmalschutz im Wohnungsbau“) by the German Foundation for Monument Protection (Stiftung Denkmalschutz) in 2011.
Even then, the approximately 950 residential units were characterised by their quality of life, had their own small gardens and advanced sanitary facilities, as well as an excellent infrastructure including shopping facilities, school, doctor, gymnasium, boathouse and swimming pool. Today, the Schwartzkopff estate is a living window into the past.
Tip for cyclists: Schwartzkopff housing estate is located directly on the "Dahme Bike Route", which leads from the old town of Köpenick to Königs Wusterhausen.