The gravestones are close together. Some are leaning against each other, others are overthrown. Ivy and wild wine covers the ground; Through maples, linden trees and chestnut trees streaky light falls on nearly 25,000 graves.
Here the peace of the dead lasts forever: a Jewish cemetery can never be given up.
The cemetery, consecrated in 1827, was the only burial site of the Berlin Jews for more than 50 years. It is located in the triangle between Schönhauser Allee, Kollwitz- and Knaackstraße.There are still remains of cisterns on the site. In one of them hid young deserters in the last days of the war in 1945. But they were discovered by the Gestapo and hanged at the cemetery trees.
And Martha Liebermann, the wife of the famous painter Max Liebermann, she committed suicide in 1943 in anticipation of her deportation. Only since 1960 she was resting next to her husband.
|Saturday / Sunday closed|