Greetings, ladies and gentlemen, God be with you! Join us on a journey into the past and immerse yourself in the festive middle ages at the RAW cultural centre.
The Historischer Weihnachtsmarkt at the RAW cultural centre in Friedrichshain will be the first Berlin Christmas market to open its doors again in 2020. During the Christmas season a medieval village is constructed at the RAW cultural centre, a place where people usually party in clubs or art and cultural events take place. From November to December, young and old medieval fans can escape the hustle and bustle of the lead-up to Christmas in the capital and go on a journey back in time!
Medieval spectacle at a historical industrial site
A trendy area of art, culture and nightlife has emerged today where rail vehicles were once repaired and restored 150 years ago.
A medieval spectacle for the whole family takes place here during the Christmas season.
Medieval hustle and bustle, traditional food and children’s programme
Acrobats, jugglers, fire performers and bards entertain the visitors and potters, blacksmiths, wood carvers and many other medieval artisans offer their skilfully manufactured goods for sale. Numerous torches and bonfires bathe the RAW grounds in a mystical light. There is no glitter, glamour or neon lighting at this historical Christmas market.
Hungry knights and damsels can fill their stomachs with traditionally prepared dishes such as flat bread and barbecued food and enjoy hot mead, mulled beer or red wine punch. Feeling reinvigorated, you can then prove your talent in archery, or even knife or axe throwing.
Pony riding, hand-operated wooden carousels and the knight’s castle make the eyes of young knights and little princesses sparkle.
Highlights of the Historischer Weihnachtsmarkt on the grounds of the RAW cultural centre
- Historical Christmas spectacle for the whole family
- Acrobats, fire performers, jugglers, medieval musicians
- Hand-operated wooden Ferris wheel and wooden carousel
- Medieval dishes
- Hands-on activities for young and old medieval fans
Our tips for your visit to the Historischer Weihnachtsmarkt on the grounds of the RAW cultural centre
Look for cosy places to warm up by one of the numerous bonfires. Try archery and axe or knife throwing. Is there a real knight in you?
And bring your kids, they’ll love the hand-operated carousels!
Opening hours and entrance fees
- Dates: 19 November to 22 December 2020, closed on 22 November (Sunday in commemoration of the dead)
- Opening hours: Monday – Friday 3:00 pm – 10:00 pm, Saturday & Sunday 12:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Admission: Monday – Wednesday free, Thursday – Sunday €2, reduced (children from 6-16 years & those in historical costumes) €1, for children under 6 years admission is free of charge.
The Christmas market is located at the RAW cultural centre in Friedrichshain. RAW stands for Reichsbahnausbesserungswerk (Reichsbahn repair station). Travel by public transport. The RAW grounds can be easily reached by S-Bahn and U-Bahn, as well as by tram or bus.
- S-Bahn (overground train): S3, S5, S7, S75, S9 Warschauer Straße
- U-Bahn (underground train): U1, U3 Warschauer Straße
- Bus: 347 Berlin, Helsingforser Platz, 248 S Warschauer Straße
- Tram: M10, M13 S Warschauer Straße
All Berlin Christmas markets at a glance