The former residence of Queen Sophie Charlotte provides the location for Berlin’s most romantic Christmas market during the Christmas season. Following in the footsteps of prince-electors, kings and emperors, here you can immerse yourself in the royal Christmas world.
The Charlottenburg Palace, illuminated by colourful lights, towers above numerous festively decorated wooden huts and pagoda tents. The smell of traditional dishes such as candied apples or wood-oven baked bread and mulled wine hangs in the air. Historic children’s carousels make children’s eyes sparkle and Santa Claus drops by with real reindeer. The Christmas market at Charlottenburg Palace invites young and old on a romantic journey into the past. Here you can immerse yourself in the royal Christmas world.
A major attraction at Christmas time in Berlin
Since its first opening in 2007, the enchanting Christmas market in front of Berlin’s largest and most magnificent palace has quickly developed into a major attraction.
Today more than 250 international exhibitors delight the numerous visitors with their stands. Traditional handicrafts such as jewellery or nativity figures and all kinds of sweets and other culinary delicacies are sold. In heated pagoda tents, the operators spoil their guests with top international Berlin cuisine.
In mid-December, the Christmas bikers make a stop at the Christmas market in front of Charlottenburg Palace. With their stop they want to draw more attention to the needy in the city.
In the footsteps of Queen Charlotte...
On the main stage the Charlottenburg Christmas market orchestra accompanies the Christmas market with atmospheric music.
In Charlottenburg Palace and the adjoining palace park, special guided tours of the Christmas traditions of the Hohenzollern, the former inhabitants of Charlottenburg Palace, are offered during the Christmas market.
"Königliche Weihnachtszeit" (Royal Christmas market)
The nostalgic Christmas landscape at Berlin’s most romantic Christmas market also puts on a very special programme for children: the "Königliche Weihnachtszeit" (royal Christmas market): In the fairytale tent you can listen to old stories and make your own Christmas presents in the handicrafts tent. The petting zoo and the free nostalgia carousels make children jump for joy.
Highlights of the Christmas market at Charlottenburg Palace
- The most beautiful winter open-air restaurant in Berlin: Der Vierte Mann (The Fourth Man) delights with Austrian cuisine and a coffee house atmosphere
- Special guided tours: Christmas traditions of the Hohenzollern family
- The entire Christmas market is exclusively decorated with natural materials and importance is also attached to sustainable waste recycling
- Royal Christmas market for children with historical carousels and petting zoo
- Accessible Christmas market: wheelchair-accessible toilet facilities and cash machine, and wheelchair-accessible ramps at the pagoda tents
- Stop of the Christmas Bikers in the middle of December
Our tips for your visit to the Christmas market at Charlottenburg Palace
One of Berlin’s most popular Christmas markets is best visited in the evening hours and on weekends. If you want to enjoy the enchanting nostalgic atmosphere of the Christmas market in peace and quiet, then it is best to make your visit in the afternoon on weekdays.
Combine your Christmas market experience with a visit to the Berggruen Museum, the Bröhan Museum, the Scharf-Gerstenberg Collection or the Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf Museum. Or take a walk through the palace gardens – where emperors and kings once strolled.
Opening hours and entrance fees
- Dates: 21 November to 26 December 2022
- Opening hours: Monday – Thursday 2:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday – Sunday 12:00 pm - 10:00 pm, closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- Admission is free of charge!
The Christmas market can be found on the square in front of Charlottenburg Palace on Spandauer Damm in Berlin-Charlottenburg.
The best way to get there is by public transport, as unfortunately there are only a few parking spaces available.
- S-Bahn (overground train): S41, S42, S46 Westend
- U-Bahn (underground train): U2 Sophie-Charlotte-Platz
- Bus: 109, M45 Luisenplatz/Schloss Charlottenburg, 309 Klausenerplatz