Welcome to the German capital! When your doors open at Berlin Central Station, at the ZOB (Berlin Central Coach Station), at BER airport or at the car park in front of your hotel, you won’t fail to realise: Berlin is accessible for everyone. And no matter what means of transport you use to get around, you will arrive without obstacles in the capital.
Travel barrier-free by train to Berlin
All long-distance train stations in Berlin, including Berlin Central Station, the Ostbahnhof or the Zoologische Garten, have disabled access both from and to platforms. Equipped with tactile paving and orientation systems as well as talking lifts, the arrival to and departure from Berlin no longer pose an obstacle for travellers.
The Deutsche Bahn AG mobility centres offer you a comprehensive service for accessible travel to Berlin. Including: a free of charge assistance service. They also provide tips to plan your journey and information about discounts or construction-related deviations. All information about accessible travel to Berlin by train can be found in Deutsche Bahn’s "Travel for all" brochure (in German only).
- The Deutsche Bahn service number: +49 (0)1806 - 99 66 33, the keyword: Betreuung (Support)
- The mobility service head office: +49 (0)1806 - 512 512
- The Bahnhofsmission assistance service supports travellers in need of help when embarking, changing and disembarking.
Accessible arrival by car to Berlin
If you visit the German capital by car, read our tips on Arriving in Berlin by car. An estimated 1,300 public disabled parking spaces are located in the city of Berlin. To ensure you can use them, you require the code aG or BI in your disabled person's pass. An overview of parking facilities for physically impaired people is available to you on these pages, for example:
Accessible arrival by plane to Berlin
You can also travel barrier-free to Berlin by plane. At BER: Berlin Brandenburg Airport offer generous designed toilet facilities as well as wheelchair-accessible parking spaces. Signposts and orientation guides give you a comprehensive overview on-site. Please notify your airline in advance if you require the support of a personal assistance service.
Further information about accessible arrival by plane:
- BER: Berlin Brandenburg Airport
- Airport Info (24/7): +49 (0)30 - 6091 58438
- free Mobility Service in the departure area, marketplace, level E1, open from 4 am to 11 pm
- free Mobility Service in the check-in areas 1-8, level E1, open from 4 am to 11 pm
- Service and information via Twitter: @berlinairport
Accessible arrival by bus to Berlin
Bus journeys to Berlin arrive at the accessible Berlin Central Coach Station (ZOB) near the exhibition grounds. Many coach companies transport guide dogs and attendants for the severely disabled free of charge – enquire with providers to find out about special deals. To ensure that there is enough space for all fellow passengers, you should register wheelchairs and prams with the travel companies prior to departure.
- Berlin Central Coach Station (ZOB)
- Masurenallee 4-6, 14057 Berlin
- Phone: +49 (0)30 - 21 49 51 00
- Services provided by the ZOB
- Sheltered stops
- waiting room
- wheelchair-accessible toilet
- luggage storage
If you have any questions about barrier-free travel to Berlin please feel free to send us an e-mail: hallo@visitBerlin.de
Tip: We have tested several Berlin hotels for quality and barrier-free access. Simply choose a suitable hotel from our overview: