Skip to main content
Schöneberg Town Hall
© visitBerlin, Foto: Dirk Mathesius

The Freedom Bell in the Tower of Schöneberg Town Hall

Bell of Freedom and Peace

The Bell of Freedom and Peace rings at the Schöneberg Town Hall.

Modelled on the “Liberty Bell,” the 10-ton “Bell of Freedom and Peace” arrived at Schöneberg Town Hall on October 21, 1950, having travelled from the United States via Bremerhaven and the military train station in Lichterfelde-West. 16 million Americans had donated money for the casting of the bell and signed a “declaration of freedom.” The bell’s inauguration by General Lucius D. Clay was transmitted on all stations of the free world on October 24, 1950. Every day at noon, its chime serves as a reminder of the value of freedom.