In the Villa Oppenheim the works of the Charlottenburg Collection are publicly exhibited in one place. The collection mainly results from the purchases of the Charlottenburger Deputation for the Arts and the Foundation of the private art collection Raussendorff.
In the collection are the artists of the newly founded Berlin Secession, which presented their works for the first time in spectacular exhibitions in Charlottenburg from 1899, including Walter Leistikow, Franz Skarbina and Max Liebermann. Selected works by these modern secessionists and their successors were purchased by the elected deputies of the town council in the workshops and workshops as well as on the great art exhibitions for the new town hall, where they were hanged and put up in the representative rooms. The comprehensive art collection of the Berlin manufacturer and patron Hugo Raussendorff (1832-1908) came into the possession of the city of Charlottenburg in 1912 as a foundation. A multifaceted collection of paintings, graphics and sculptures exhibited by Antonie and Hugo Raussendorff, the donor couple, had been exhibited in their representative city villa on the Kurfürstendamm, including works by Eduard Schleich, Franz von Defregger and Constantin Meunier. This coherent presentation of a private art collection of the 19th century is the only one of its kind in Berlin. The young city of Charlottenburg stood at the threshold of the twentieth century: a city in the upswing - in 1904 it advanced to the richest city of Prussia - empty walls in the newly built town hall and empty places in an expanding city. Countless artists who recently lived in Charlottenburg and in the administration arts-minded men who had not only the economic interest, but also the spiritual life of the city in view.