Zwieback (a type of crisp, sweetened bread) and Kommissbrot ("army loaf") for the Prussian garrison were once stored here along with coal, salt and canned meat, in what was known as the "Senate's Reserves" during the Cold War.
The former army bakery has since been transformed into a stylish venue and is now home to Club-Restaurant Spindler & Klatt at the rear. Traces of the old army bakery's history The army bakery was part of the Royal Prussian Commissariat from 1805 onwards. Its location on the river Spree was perfect for supplying large quantities of grain. The surviving buildings were constructed on the basis of designs by architects Kneister, Arenberg and Böhm during a phase of redevelopment after a fire in 1890. Except for the mill, all of the elements of the building are still standing today. The bakery, granary (warehouse), two residences for civil servants and an administrative building are listed as historical sites. Club and restaurant behind a yellow clinker brick façade The former army bakery is a well-maintained facility and an impressive example of industrial architecture from the 19th century. With its fair-faced yellow clinker brickwork, the bakery is sure to catch the attention of passers by on Köpenicker Straße. The different parts of the facility are grouped around a generous interior courtyard. This former granary (warehouse) on the river Spree was transformed into an exclusive venue in 2009. Inside, cast-iron supports hold a five meter high vaulted ceiling in place, the well maintained parquet is made from aged copper beech and the deep arched windows create the impression of the building's former Prussian splendour.