The beginnings of the archive reach back to the 13th century. The “historic archive” with extensive Prussian, national and provincial, government and non-government transmissions “between Königsberg and Kleve“ has 35 kilometres of archived papers and documents. It is one of the largest German national archives and harbours above all numerous documents from Brandenburg-Prussia (House and Court of Hohenzollern, Prussian Army, provincial authorities, charts, etc.) of historical significance in its collection of records. Even though the archive has beared its “secret” name since 1803 , today it is at the disposal of the general public.