The Amerika Haus on Hardenbergstraße in Berlin-Charlottenburg was designed by architect Bruno Grimmek and built in 1956-57 as part of the International Building Exhibition.
Used for its first decades as a place for U.S.-German cultural exchange with a cinema, library and exhibition space, the house became a a source of protests against U.S. foreign policy from the 1960s. After 9/11, the security measures at Amerika Haus were upped so that only invited guests were able to visit.
C/O at Amerika Haus
In 2014, the C/O Berlin Foundation will reopen at Amerika Haus after it has moved from the Postfuhramt. The Amerika Haus will now be used to host international exhibitions of photography with works by Robert Rauschenberg, Frank Lloyd Wright and Lyonel Feininger. Since June 2013, C/O has been using open-air exhibitions to document the history of the Amerika Haus.
Find further information here