Pentecostés en Berlín
At the end of May, Berlin celebrates Whitsun at street festivals, festivals and open-air folk festivals. On Whit Sunday and Whit Monday, 28 and 29 May 2023, and of course throughout the weekend, the capital offers its visitors numerous events for young and old, whether carnivals, markets or fairs - there is something for every taste. Here we show you the best Whitsun tips for your short trip to Berlin. You can find an overview of all the events at Whitsun in our events calendar. You can find even more tips for your Whitsun celebration in the calendar of events.
The Highlight: Carnival of Cultures
After having to cancel last year, the Carnival of Cultures is once again celebrating the diversity of Berlin's lifeworlds and communities. For four days from May 26 to 29, the street festival at Bülowplatz invites visitors to enjoy delicious street food from all over the world. Then, on Whit Sunday, the colorful parade moves through Kreuzberg, where Berlin's communities show how colorful and diverse the city is.
More about carnival of cultures
Enjoy outstanding concerts of various genres on this long Whitsun weekend:
- On Whit Monday, the Konzerthaus am Gendarmenmarkt invites you to an Orgel-Matinee with works by Liszt, Mozart and Tchaikovsky. In the evening, the K&K Philharmonic Orchestra and the K&K Opernchor will present works by John Williams and Matthias Georg Kendlinger.
- A very special highlight is the performance in the Philharmonie of Olivier Messiaen's monumental ten-movement Turangalîla-Symphony, conducted by Simone Young.
- In the imposing Charlottenburg Palace, the Berlin Residence Ensemble will be intoning the Tanz der Violinen (dance of the violins) and playing pieces by Vivaldi and Telemann on Saturday.
- The performance of Francesca da Rimini at the Deutsche Oper on Whit Monday promises great emotions.
- The Grunewald Hunting Lodge celebrates the 10th Klassik OpenAir: Schwanengesang is the name of the performance of Mozart's last three symphonies in front of the romantically illuminated façade of the hunting lodge.
- Hans Zimmer has written music for cinema films, world successes such as Pirates of the Caribbean, Batman, Da Vinci Code and over 100 other productions. Now he will be presenting his world hits live at the Mercedes Benz Arena on 26 and 27 May.
- The Staatsballet Berlin will thrill you this weekend at the Staatsoper Unter den Linden with fast-paced and humorous choreographies by Alexander Ekman and Sharon Eyal
Festivals & Markets
Festivals and markets are part of Whitsun. Let yourself drift and enjoy.
- The traditional Steglitzer Woche features colourful rides in Bäkepark.
- At the Berlin Flea Market at the Karlshorst harness racing track at Whitsun, you'll find a huge flea market with everything that retro fans will love: antiques, furniture, art and second hand.
- The Hoppegarten racecourse is also the scene of the Fashion Raceday on 28 May.
- On Whitsun, Berlin's churches also open their doors for the Long Night: on 28 May you can take part in numerous events.
- The whole world of tango meets in Berlin for the Embrace Festival from 23 to 29 May. Numerous workshops, milongas and dance courses will also take place over the Whitsun weekend.
Children and families
And another long weekend in May where families can spend time together in Berlin. There are exciting things to do in Berlin for the whole family - no matter whether they are small children, schoolchildren or teenagers. Attractions, theatres, cafés, museums, events, guided tours - Berlin has it all especially for children.
- Whitsun at the Wendenschloss lido with a beautiful beer garden on the waterfront on 28 and 29 May.
- Family guided tour at the Deutsche Oper with a look over the stages and into the stage design magazine.
- The FEZ starts on Saturday with the new programme for children between one and five: I can do it all by myself!
- Since April, Tierpark Berlin has had its own Dinoworld on its grounds.
- A nice destination for your family outing on the long Whitsun weekend is the Museumsdorf Düppel (Düppel Museum Village). Here you can travel back in time on a Whitsun excursion and experience from 27 to 29 May what it might have actually looked like in a medieval village around 800 years ago.
Castles and gardens
At Whitsun, the whole of Berlin is ablaze with colourful blossoms. Visit the Botanical Garden, the Britzer Garten or the Britzer Garte (Gardens of the World). The palace gardens in and around Berlin also invite you to a particularly splendid Whitsun excursion.
Nutzen Sie bei Ihren Ausflügen ins nahe gelegene Potsdam unser Tagesticket sanssouci +:
Museums and attractions in Berlin
Many attractions and museums in Berlin, including the world-famous Museumsinsel and the Fernsehturm (TV Tower) are looking forward to seeing you. Use the long weekend over Whitsun for a trip to the museum or an exciting exhibition - there is something for everyone in Berlin! In addition, exciting exhibition concepts offer variety such as Dark Matter Berlin, which starts as early as 26 May with the Sommerlights light installation.
Open-air cinemas in Berlin
The first open-air cinemas have already opened. The open-air cinemas offer current blockbusters, films in OmU and old classics. Enjoy films under Berlin's starry sky.
Boat and Spree trips
The sun deck of a Spree ferry is a particularly relaxing way to discover Berlin from the water. Choose between sightseeing tours, swimming trips or exploration tours out to Wannsee and as far as Potsdam.