A king without a care
A crown is just a hat that lets the rain in. These words spoken by Frederick the Great demonstrate modesty. It was without any pomp and circumstance, yet with discipline, that the king steered the course of Prussia in the 18th century. His wishes were those of a simple man: to be without a care, sans souci. And so he had Sanssouci Palace built between 1745 and 1747 overlooking the famous vineyard terraces. The summer residence became his favourite place, a haven he would retreat to alone with his dogs in difficult times. He was even reluctant to have minor repairs carried out – as the palace was his and should "only last for my lifetime".
Fortunately, this wish was not granted. Sanssouci Palace is still standing in all its splendour. The rooms have been preserved in their original condition with all their elegant and stylish furnishings. And the spacious park with all the other palace buildings, such as the New Palace, New Chambers Palace, Chinese House, orangery and Charlottenhof Palace, is more beautiful and striking than ever.
Family tour with the Palace Dragon
A good tour for kids ages 7-12 through the grounds of Sanssouci Palace is "The Journeys of Johann Ludwig von Fauch" led by the Palace Dragon. The Palace Dragon takes his little companions on a journey of discovery through the Marble Palace in the New Garden. The Dragon allows parents to join the journey, by the way. Because the number of participants in this tour is limited, tickets should be booked in advance.
- SeeAdvertisementMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperienceAdvertisementWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Winter in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- City info
- Travel information
- Tourist Information
- Group travel to Berlin
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Berlin WelcomeCard AdvertisementThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers