Melting pot of the cultural scene
Set on the site of a small 19th century brewery, this is now one of the most attractive sites for multifaceted events in Berlin. The site, under national trust protection, contains six linked courtyards and over 20 buildings, used by creative artists for a wide range of cultural happenings, from parties to theatrical performances to cinematic and gastronomic events.
The complex was extensively refurbished in the 1990s and extends to 25,000 square metres. The original usage of the individual brewery buildings can still be seen from the inscriptions preserved on the brick walls. The boiler house and powerhouse are now used for live concerts.
From a Large Brewery to Industrial Monument
The Schultheiss brewery wanted its buildings to be both functional as well as make a statement about the company. This is why they commissioned renowned architect Franz Heinrich Schwechten to design their brewery complex on Schönhauser Allee at the end of the nineteenth century. The richly decorated buildings of red and yellow brick with their cast iron columns, barrel vaults and stone ceilings are fine examples of nineteenth-century industrial architecture.
Beer was brewed here until 1967. The site has been listed since 1974, but it was largely abandoned until the Kulturbrauerei (the "culture brewery") opened its doors to draw in lovers of theatre and cinema and fans of the nightlife scene.
Events in the Kulturbrauerei
The Frannz Club opened in the 1970s offers a daily party programme for night owls and has its own restaurant on the site. Others include the SODA club, the Alte Kantine and the Palais. The varied entertainment programme also includes the cinema, the RambaZamba theatre and the Russian theatre.
Open-air events, individual events and parties
In addition to all these cultural experiences offered by the individual organisations on the site, the Kulturbrauerei itself serves as a colourful backdrop for numerous events. The courtyards are particularly suitable for open-air events, such as the Lucia Christmas market in December, the Lagerfeuer at Halloween and the Klassik Open Air in August. Larger parties and events spread over the entire complex.
- SeeMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperiencePackage offerWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Summer in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Package Offers
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlin WelcomeCard Package offerThe official Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers