Visionary tent building at Anhalter Bahnhof
The new Tempodrom at Anhalter Bahnhof is one of the boldest constructions of recent years. The Tempodrom is a cultural arena that offers a varied and constantly-changing programme of events. Its reputation has by now spread far beyond Berlin.
From a circus tent to a visionary event arena
The Tempodrom - in its original manifestation, a small circus tent - was founded by Irene Moessinger on May 1, 1980. Originally located on Potsdamer Platz, the Tempodrom upped sticks and moved to Tiergarten, where it remained for a long time. The Tempodrom soon gained a strong reputation for its concerts and live theatre, and the overall programme was characterised by a lively and imaginative mixture of genres. The World Music festival "Heimatklänge" - originally open-air and free of charge - still draws thousands of fans every year. Due to the government's relocation to Berlin and its need for new building-space, the Tempodrom was forced to leave its home in Tiergarten at the beginning of the Nineties.
While the new Tempodrom was under construction at Anhalter Bahnhof, the circus tent moved to the Postbahnhof in the eastern district of Friedrichshain. The new building at Anhalter Bahnhof was a dynamic re-interpretation of the original tent-form - in white, reinforced concrete. This daring construction is reminiscent of the forms drafted by expressionist architects in the Twenties. Under the circus roof are two arenas, providing space for events as disparate as concerts, plays, revues, shows, circuses and even sporting events. In addition, the Liquidrom offers an entirely new and wonderfully relaxing experience: here, visitors can float in warm, salt water, to the accompaniment of spacey and ethereal sounds.
- SeeMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperiencePackage offerWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Autumn in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- City info
- Travel information
- Tourist Information
- Group travel to Berlin
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Berlin WelcomeCard Package offerThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers