Architektonika displays works from both the Friedrich Christian Flick Collection im Hamburger Bahnhof and the Nationalgalerie's own collections as well as selected works on loan, which all draw on architecture through different approaches. Sculptural and photographic works, films and paintings illustrate how differently artists have approached the interface between art and architecture since the 1960s. Last year, the emphasis was placed on the sculptural and visual qualities of architectural structures; this year the central question is how architecture defines urban space, the way we live, and thus also social structures.
Works by Absalon, Jürgen Albrecht, Carl Andre, Stan Douglas, Nina Fischer & Maroan el Sani, Peter Fischli / David Weiss, Isa Genzken, Dan Graham, Rachel Khedoori, Sol LeWitt, Gordon Matta-Clark, Bruce Nauman, Roman Ondák, Manfred Pernice, Andrea Pichl, Hermann Pitz, Dieter Roth & Björn Roth, Anri Sala, Albrecht Schäfer, Thomas Schütte, Thomas Struth, James Turell, Jeff Wall and Tobias Zielony are presented. Marjetica Potrč developed specifically for this exhibition an architectural sculpture, which is designed on the principle of the "growing house".
The works of art are arranged in dialogue with four cabinet rooms with architectural designs by Gerhard Siegmann, Dieter Bahlo, Georg Heinrichs, Wolfgang Döring, Walter Jonas and Archigram, which show existing and utopian residential complexes. They deal with the consequences of economic crises and war, as well as they focus on the relationship between environment and urban space, the growing traffic volume and the increasing housing density.
- SeeMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperiencePackage offerWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Summer in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- City info
- Travel information
- Tourist Information
- Group travel to Berlin
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Berlin WelcomeCard Package offerThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information