Sharks, boas, ants
Just behind the entrance is the tank containing the koi ornament carps. All around there are children and adults sitting and putting their hands into the water, because the kois love to be stroked and fed by the visitors.
But the Zoo Aquarium is not only a popular Berlin destination for families - it is also one of Germany's public aquariums most rich in species. The terrariums and aquariums contain over 9,000 animals of almost 800 species. The ground floor is home to fishes, corals, and jellyfish. Very impressive are the seven large basins where big cownose rays and blacktip reef sharks make their circles. One floor above is the reptile section with the popular crocodile hall, which was opened almost 100 years ago - then the first publicly accessible vivarium in the world.
Around the hall the terrariums reveal boas, lizards and turtles. And on the topmost floor visitors can watch amphibians and insects. One of the highlights is the installation for leaf-cutting ants, where ants are busy transporting their leaves through long plastic pipes from one terrarium to another.
Underwater World for Children
An aquarium is obviously not the same as a petting zoo; other than the koi carp at the entrance, there is little direct contact with the scaly or cold-blooded animals. However, you can have a look behind the scenes during the winter months, from October to March, when the popular Night Tours for young scientists are held, and they can explore the terrariums and aquariums using a torch outside regular opening hours.
During the school holidays Puzzle Safaris are also organised. And anyone who would like to celebrate their birthday at the Aquarium can book special tours for their guests, provided the birthday child is at least six years old.
- SeeMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperiencePackage offerWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Autumn in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- City info
- Travel information
- Tourist Information
- Group travel to Berlin
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Berlin WelcomeCard Package offerThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers