off for adults on regular exhibitions, 25% off for children. Special tip: In february free admission to the museum/citadel.
One of the best-preserved Renaissance fortresses of Europe
The Spandau citadel is one of the best preserved fortresses of the Renaissance. The original fortress along with the Julius tower, the oldest structure in Berlin, was built around 1200.
Begun in 1560 under Elector Joachim II, the construction of the fortress was finally com-pleted in 1594. The Spandau citadel has the form of a square and includes the Julius tower and four bastions, bearing the names of King, Queen, Crown Prince and Brandenburg. The architectural design of the brick building is based on Italian models and was once considered impregnable. In the Spandau citadel 900 years worth of fortification architecture can be ob-served, as it was used by military forces until the end of World War II for various purposes.
Since 1989, the building has been open to the public and is now used exclusively for cultural purposes. The Spandau citadel serves as a venue for outdoor theatrical performances and nu-merous events. During the summer, nationally and internationally known artists take part in the "Citadel Music Festival." In the former commander's house, a permanent exhibition focusing on the history of the citadel is housed. Furthermore, in the Queen's bastion, you can visit (by appointment only) 70 medieval Jewish gravestones.
Popular for families with children are the exciting bat tours and walks into the bat cellar. There are fruitbats and other flapping birds from different regions of the world just waiting to be discovered and observed.
- SeeMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperiencePackage offerWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Autumn in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- City info
- Travel information
- Tourist Information
- Group travel to Berlin
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Berlin WelcomeCard Package offerThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers