An artificial waterfall and a national monument
Located at the foot of a prominent national monument, there is an artificial waterfall which rushes down to the foot of the mountain at the confluence of Großbeerenstraße and Kreuzbergstraße. In Berlin vernacular, the park is usually referred to as being Kreuzberg. The history of the Viktoriapark began in 1821. On the elevated grounds of what had previously been called "Tempelhof Berg" or "Runder Weinberg,” Karl Friedrich Schinkel built a national monument commemorating the battles of the War of Liberation. At the foot of this monument, a simple park was created.
The 24 metre high waterfall, which is located on the axis of Großbeerenstraß, is a miniature replica of the Wodospad Podgórnej waterfall now found in Poland, which was formerly a popular tourist destination of wealthy Berliners. On the basis of geological studies, the rock formation was shaped in a very natural manner. As there is not a natural source of water on the Kreuzberg itself, water is pumped up the mountain so as to feed the waterfall. The water circulation is now 13,000 litres per minute. In the summer, many Berliners visit the park during the evening to watch the sun go down and perhaps to drink a bottle of wine, whose grapes were grown there on the slope.
The vineyard from which the Kreuz-Neroberger wine is produced was founded in 1968, when the vines used for the white wine were donated to the Kreuzberg district by Wiesbaden. The Kreuzberger wine has been growing and thriving in Victoriapark ever since that time. Around 200 bottles of wine are pressed each year, but officially the wine cannot be sold in stores. Instead, it is used by district for prestigious gifts on exceptional occasions. Wine enthusiasts can also acquire a bottle for a donation of 10 euros.
- SeeMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperiencePackage offerWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Winter in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Package Offers
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlin WelcomeCard Package offerThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers