off standard € 12 adult admission (excl. family / group tickets)
Large outdoor areas, rare species – come and visit Europe’s largest zoo
For about 20 Months, Pori was pregnant with her child. Then finally it happened - it was a boy, 117 kilograms and 91 centimetres! When the little bull elephant Kando was born in 2007 at Tierpark Berlin, not only his mother Pori was wide-eyed . Only a few minutes after he had been born, the baby elephant tramped over into an open area pool - and then went for a swim. Later it was named Kando, which in Swahili means "shore."
Since 1999, 15 baby elephants have been born at the Tierpark Berlin.This is a record. And not only that, the zoo also happens to be the largest zoo in Europe. Covering an area of 160 hectares, there are about 7800 animals in total and there are nearly 900 different species – all the way from sunbears to the Indian giant flying fox. In addition to the Hummingbird-Crocodile House, the Tropical Hall, Afrikanum and the Snake Farm, the Vari Forest is of particular interest. There, visitors can stroll through the forest full of black and red varis and have a close-up look at the curious lemurs.
Tierpark Berlin was founded during the division of Berlin after the Second World War, as there was also a need for a zoo in the eastern part of the city. It opened in 1955 at Friedrichsfelde Palace. The Friedrichsfelde Palace, which was built in 1695, is located at the park originally designed by the landscape architect Peter Joseph Lenné. Since 2009, the palace belongs to Tierpark Berlin again. The gemeinschaft of the sponsors of "Tierpark und Zoo Berlin e.V." took over the supervision of the events which are held here, especially regular concerts.
- SeeAdvertisementMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperienceAdvertisementWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- City info
- Travel information
- Tourist Information
- Group travel to Berlin
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Package Offers
- Berlin WelcomeCard AdvertisementThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers