From the hunting grounds of the nobility to Berlin’s green lung
What Central Park is to New Yorkers and Hyde Park to Londoners, the same holds true in regard to what Tiergarten - the green lung of the metropolis- represents to Berliners. Located in the city centre, next to attractions such as the Brandenburg Gate, it is even larger than the 210 hectares of Hyde Park.
At the end of the 17th century, Elector Friedrich III created from a former hunting preserve a "pleasure park for the people." Over the course of time, the park was redesigned according to several models – including a plan created by the famous landscape architect Peter Joseph Lenné who transformed Tierpark between 1833 and 1838 into an English style park.
Here people meet for going on a stroll or having a family picnic, playing ball games or just relaxing. In the summer on every Sunday, you can listen to the bells of the carillon. 1987 marked the 750th anniversary of Berlin and it was constructed on this occasion near the present day House of World Cultures. The 42 metre high tower with its 68 bells is the fourth largest carillon in the world.
Gas lanterns open air museum
Near the Tiergarten S-Bahn station, you can view a collection of several gas lanterns from different eras at the Gaslaternen-Freilichtmuseum Berlin. About 90 gas lanterns from Berlin and other cities are on public display out-of-doors and are illuminated at dusk. The lanterns were painstakingly restored for the 2006 World Cup held in Berlin.
- SeeMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperiencePackage offerWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Winter in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Package Offers
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlin WelcomeCard Package offerThe official Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers