A mini-break on Berlin's highest hill
The view over the Grunewald, across Berlin and up to the Havel is uniquely beautiful. The Fernsehturm and Berliner Dom gleam in the sun to the east. To the west white sailing boats drift across the glistening water. And all around there's nothing to be seen but green forest.
Anyone standing on the Teufelsberg could hardly guess that this mountain is made of rubble and that it is a place charged with history. During the Nazi period the shell of the Military Technology Faculty building was here. It was blown up after the war and 25 million cubic metres of Berlin rubble was piled up here. And this is how the Teufelsberg, which gets its name from the nearby Teufelssee lake and is actually two hills, became the highest point in Berlin at 114.7 metres. After the Müggelberge of course. The Americans began to use the hill as a listening post in the 50s. You can still see the remains of the installation with five large radar domes today.
And since the Wall fell the Teufelsberg has become one of the most popular areas for a mini-break for Berliners: In winter its just the right place for sledging or for a mass snowball fight. Berliners meet here in summer for picnic trips and dreamy sunsets. Flying kites and paragliding, mountain biking and hiking are popular the whole year round.
Please note: The listening post can only be visited with a guide.
- SeeMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperiencePackage offerWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Winter in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- City info
- Travel information
- Tourist Information
- Group travel to Berlin
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Package Offers
- Berlin WelcomeCard Package offerThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers