Nature meets vibrant history
The Nordbahnhof Park is an exciting example of modern park design, providing ample space for urban nature to develop while at the same time offering green spaces to relax in and play on. The unique atmosphere of the park is characterised by a 1.4 hectare (3 acre) meadow area, a birch wood and a beautiful view of the city in silhouette.
The park stretches like a spread-out sail over nearly one kilometre from Invalidenstraße to Schwindsuchtbrücke, thus connecting the area around Ackerstraße in the former eastern part of the city with the area around Schwartzkopffstraße in the old West Berlin. In this manner, the wound inflicted on Berlin by the Wall is healed by 5.5 hectares (13 acres) of tangible urban nature that has developed here in the last 20 years.
The Nordbahnhof Park is an area steeped in tradition defined by three layers of history. The former border installations of the Berlin Wall are to be found alongside the remains of the railway installations of the old Stettin Railway Station (a hub of activity in pre-war times), and – as the youngest layer – an urban wasteland, which is being reclaimed by a rapidly growing nature.
History and nature in the same place are waiting not only to be discovered but protected as well. The park is protected by fences and is entered via gates – just as in the classic garden designs. Behind these narrow, channel-like entrances lies a kind of “lost world”.
And you don’t need to miss out on leisure activities or relaxation either: sunbathing areas in the form of trapezes and a large streetball pitch on the western side of the old hinterland wall offers plenty of space not only for taking it easy but also running riot.
You will find more detailed information here (only in German).
- SeeMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperiencePackage offerWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Autumn in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Package Offers
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlin WelcomeCard Package offerThe official Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers