New Synagogue Berlin Centrum Judaicum Foundation

New Synagogue Berlin Centrum Judaicum Foundation

A synagogue serving as a link between the past and present

Neue Synagoge Berlin Centrum Judaicum – © Pierre Adenis

A “bet-ha-knesset," that is, a synagogue, is not only a place for praying but also for coming together, teaching and learning. The New Synagogue on Oranienburger Straße with its Cen-trum Judaicum Foundation is now one of the most important sites of Jewish life in all of Germany.

The New Synagogue was once the largest and most magnificent Jewish place of worship in Germany and, at the same time, it showcased the confidence of the established Jewish middle class of Berlin. The Moorish-style building was built between 1859 and 1866 based on plans by Eduard Knoblauch. With its refined steel construction of the galleries and roof and clever interior design, it represented an important engineering and architectural achievement.

In the great nave and the galleries, there is room for up to 3,000 worshipers. A highly visible large golden dome crowns the building and the front entrances which is magnificently deco-rated with ornamental brick front is flanked by two towers which also have gilded domes.

During the pogrom night of 1938, the synagogue was spared from major damage due to the courageous intervention of the district’s police superintendent but it was severely damaged in World War II by Allied bombing. When they blew up the synagogue's main room in 1958, the only things that remained were the parts of the synagogue located closest to the street. In May 1995, the synagogue was reopened along with the permanent exhibition "Open the the gates.”

The permanent exhibition traces the history of the synagogue. The documents on display and various exhibits provide visitors with a sense of how diverse Jewish life used to be in this part of Berlin. The enormous scale of the former synagogue's main room can be sensed in the open space behind the restored buildings.

Infos for school classes

A tour through the “Tuet auf die Pforten” permanent exhibition is intended to show the school pupils how diverse the forms of Jewish life used to be. The enormous dimensions of the former synagogue main chamber provide a fitting backdrop to impress the pupils in the open space behind the restored parts of the building. The reduced admittance price for a group of up to 30 persons is general 43 Euros plus 3 Euro entree.

Infobox

Oranienburger Straße 28/30
10117 Berlin Mitte
Tel.: 030 – 88028300

officeatcentrumjudaicum [dot] de

Javascript is required to view this map.
To: Oranienburger Straße 28/30
10117 Berlin

Admission Euro 3,50, reduced Euro 3.00
Dome: Euro 2.00, reduced Euro 1.50

Apr - SepSun - Mon10am - 8pm
Tue - Thu10am - 6pm
Fri10am - 5pm
Mar - OctSun - Mon10am - 8pm
Tue - Thu10am - 6pm
Fri10am - 2pm
Nov - FebSun - Mon10am - 6pm
Tue - Thu10am - 6pm
Fri10am - 2pm
Javascript is required to view this map.
Sightseeing
(0.00 km)

A synagogue serving as a link between the past and present

view
(0.21 km)

Jewish Synagogue Congregation, Berlin

view
Museums + Art
(0.03 km)

Outsider art right in the middle of the Berlin art scene

view
(0.10 km)

Berlin School and Dresden painting

view
(0.11 km)

Contemporary European and Asian Art

view
(0.19 km)

Young international art in a former margarine factory

view
(0.19 km)

A new home for art

view
(0.22 km)

Young Contemporary Art at two sites

view
(0.23 km)

From abstract figuration to informal art

view
Shopping
(0.16 km)

Social Upcycling Design

view