Haus des Rundfunks

Haus des Rundfunks

Distinguished concerts in Berlin’s exceptional broadcasting house

– © RBB/Hanna Lippmann

The Haus des Rundfunks is one of Europe’s first buildings dedicated to broadcasting, designed by the architect Hans Poelzig and completed in 1931. The construction of the building complex is sealed to soundproof the broadcasting studios. These are located on the inside of the triangular building, protecting them from street noise. The imposing street facade is 150 metres long and set with black bricks and red-brown ceramic tiles.

The Haus des Rundfunks is also a significant part of Berlin’s history. The first regular TV programmes were broadcast from here in the 1930s. In the postwar era, the centre became an object of contention between the Soviet and British occupying powers, until it was finally renovated in 1957 and became the base for the Sender Freies Berlin (SFB) radio station. It has since been taken over by Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg (RBB).

Geographically, the building is in Berlin-Charlottenburg, very near to the Funkturm and the Messe trade fair site. The interior courtyard features a bronze statue “Große Nacht”, the original of which was already sited here in the 1930 but subsequently removed by the National Socialists.
The broadcasting studios are also used for concerts and radio recordings. The Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin, among others, plays regularly in the Grosse Sendesaal, which has room for up to 900 spectators. The Kleine Sendesaal is also available, with a capacity of 150 for public concerts.

Infobox

Masurenallee 8-14
14057 Berlin Charlottenburg
Tel.: 030 – 9799312497
Javascript is required to view this map.
Javascript is required to view this map.
Sightseeing
(0.17 km)

Berlin’s long beanpole

view
Shopping
(0.54 km)

Cheeky kid's stuff in French

view
(0.63 km)

Designer clothes at a bargain price

view
Sport Metropolis
(1.20 km)

Play golf in the middle of the city

view
(1.22 km)

Youth development at a high level

view
(1.26 km)

Complete with beach and chill out area

view
(1.46 km)

auf dem Mittelstreifen der Schlossstraße

view
(1.64 km)

Exclusive support for you

view
Museums + Art
(1.47 km)

Manufacturer in the Plastic Arts since 1819

view
(1.59 km)

An artist’s home turned museum

view