Berlin courtyard at Hackescher Markt
Since the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Hackesche Höfe have developed into the central contact point for both Berliners and people visiting Berlin. Lavishly restored, these courtyards are located in the historic “Scheunenviertel” or “barn district” in the Spandau suburb of Berlin-Mitte.
The Hackesche Höfe represent the largest, enclosed courtyard area of Germany and were put under a preservation order in 1972. The courtyards located across from the Hackeschen Market were opened on 23 September 1906. As is the case in many of Berlin's courtyards, the building complex consists of offices, businesses, factories (especially in the first courtyards) and flats.
When the Hackesche Höfe were being renovated in the 1990’s, this concept was successfully implemented again. Today, the eight courtyards between Rosenthal and the Sophienstraße provide 27.000 square metres for 40 industrial enterprises, cultural institutions and flats.
All around the courtyards are located numerous bars, restaurants and clubs and thus the area has become one of the coolest places to go when it comes to nightlife.
The Berliner courtyards
Courtyard I - Endellscher Hof courtyard, designed by Art Nouveau artist and architect August Endell. The courtyard is home to the cabaret "Chameleon,” a cinema as well as several bars and restaurants.
Courtyard II - Theaterhof, here the Hackesche-Hof-Theater is located and a number of architectural firms.
The other courtyards are home to many smaller shops and galleries.
- SeeMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperiencePackage offerWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Winter in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Package Offers
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlin WelcomeCard Package offerThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers