off standard admission price (€20/€11 reduced), Evening box office
Children's theatre with head and heart
The GRIPS Theatre has been developing realistic plays with head and heart for youngsters since the 1960ies. GRIPS founder Volker Ludwig describes his theatre concept as “showing reality, forming perspectives on life, and offering encouragement”. Quite obviously, he’s got the right mix to offer: his brand of imaginative visualisation of every-day life issues has been emulated and staged in around 50 countries over 1800 times – and was translated into 40 languages.
With is four to five premieres per year, the GRIPS Theatre caters for all age groups. Among the classics are ‘Max and Millie’, a tale of turbulent adventures in the every-day life of kids, and also the musings of 10-year-old Nico: "Rosinen im Kopf" (A head full of raisins). Most adults, on the other hand, will be familiar with ‘’Eine linke Geschichte" (A dubious story) and the cult musical "Linie 1" (Line 1) about (West) Berlin’s U-Bahn passengers from the widows of Wilmersdorf to the punks of Kreuzberg. In 2009, on the occasion of its 20-year-anniversary, the theatre finally staged the long awaited sequel "Linie 2" (Line 2).
In 2009, GRIPS opened a second venue at the Podewil on Klosterstraße in Berlin’s Mitte district. Just like at the venue in the Hansa quarter, this theatre expects cross-generational laughter and merriment, foot-stamping and whistling from its audiences.
Infos for school classes
The theatre offers free subject evenings to school classes of all ages, which will provide an impression of a production at work in advance of a premiere using excerpts from scenes from the play. Afterwards the artists will invite the pupils for a discussion. Tickets for regular performances are available to school groups at discounted prices. Special prices, however, are only for school classes from Berlin.
- SeeAdvertisementMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperienceAdvertisementWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Winter in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- City info
- Travel information
- Tourist Information
- Group travel to Berlin
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Berlin WelcomeCard AdvertisementThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers