for adults off standard admission (€ 5) / children off reduced admission (€ 4) with guide, free for children up to 7 yrs
An Italian dream
The young prince was enchanted by Italy. When the 21 year old Carl of Prussia returned to Berlin from his first big journey in 1823, he had only one dream: he wanted to live in an Italian villa set in a Mediterranean-style landscape. And it was to be here, of all places, in the heart of Brandenburg's sandy plains.
The Glienicke estate seemed the perfect place to him. And so, in 1825, at the behest of the prince, the architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel turned the original building into a summer residence – in a classical style, of course, with clear outlines, well balanced and proportioned. Everywhere you go, you can see Italian-style elements such as the great fountain with the golden lion, which is modelled on the one found at the Villa Medici in Rome.
Glienicke park was also lovingly designed. It is decorated with a variety of small buildings full of fanciful details. The prince, for instance, had ancient mosaics from Carthage laid in the "Small Curiosity" tea pavilion. And the terrace of the casino was also designed by Schinkel so that it offers a wonderful view of the River Havel, also known as the 'Gulf of Potsdam'.
Glienicke Bridge, which crosses the river directly behind the palace linking Berlin and Potsdam, can also be seen from here. During the Cold War, half of the bridge belonged to West Berlin and the other half belonged to the GDR. It became famous around the world as the place where spies were exchanged.
- SeeAdvertisementMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperienceAdvertisementWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Winter in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- City info
- Travel information
- Tourist Information
- Group travel to Berlin
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Berlin WelcomeCard AdvertisementThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers