Sachsenhausen Memorial Site - A museum on the grounds of the former concentration camp reminds of the atrocities of national socialism
The area of today’s memorial site Sachsenhausen was one of the largest concentration camps of the Reich between 1936 and 1945. During that time, there and in various sub-camps, around 200,000 people were held captive, were forced into slave labour and were exploited by the surrounding industrial companies. Tens of thousands of these captives died because of the inhumane working and living conditions, brutality, torture, in gas chambers, mass executions and medical experiments. The camp was used between 1945 and 1950 as a special prison camp of the Russian KGB – it was a so-called ‘silencing camp’. Around 60,000 prisoners lived here under the most severe conditions. Around 12,000 of these died due to the terrible conditions in the camp, starved to death or fell victim to disease. In 1961, the site was declared a national memorial, and a place of mourning in the GDR. Since 1993, the memorial site and the museum of Sachsenhausen are part of the Foundation for Brandenburg Memorials.
Guided tours and film presentations can be arranged by appointment. The museums are closed on Mondays. The museums and film presentations are not suitable for children under ten.
Infos for school classes
Admittance to the Sachsenhausen Memorial and exhibitions is free of charge. Tour offers of the grounds and museums are particularly recommended for school classes. The offers include both introductory and thematic tours. The tour costs 15 Euros for school classes up to 15 persons, and 25 Euros for larger groups of up to 30 persons. Prior registration is necessary.
- SeeMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperiencePackage offerWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Summer in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Package Offers
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlin WelcomeCard Package offerThe official Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers