Film History in Potsdam’s Oldest Building
Asta Nielsen, Marlene Dietrich, Manfred Krug, Kate Winslet, Katrin Sass and Catherine Zeta-Jones - all these famous names have one thing in common: they have all filmed at the Babelsberg Film Studios.
The Potsdam Film Museum has been located at the Royal Stables in Lustgarten in the centre of Potsdam since 1981. The historical building is now the oldest architectural work in the city. The Baroque building was built as an orangery for the protection of exotic plants in 1685, and it was used as a stable for royal horses and as a regular stable from 1714 to 1918. After being used for many different functions, the Potsdam Film Museum moved into the Royal Stables with its collection in 1981.
The permanent exhibition ‘Babelsberg - Changing Faces of a Film Location’ offers visitors a chronological walkthrough of the history of the Babelsberg Film Studios since 1912, beginning with the great time of the silent movies, the eras of the Ufa and DEFA film productions right up to the present day. And the museum does not only document the highlights, but also shows the darker chapters of the film location, flops and all.
Film clips, photographs, texts, costumes, scripts, draft set layouts, scale models, props and technical equipment document the zeitgeist of the time and also the superior abilities of technicians, artists and craftsmen. The over 700 original objects include for example the bench from ‘Die Feuerzangenbowle’, the T-shirt from ‘Paul und Paula’ and the record from ‘Sonnenallee’.
The cinema at the fim museum features in addition to current films also film classics and documentaries. Long film nights and themed film series periodically complement the programming.
- SeeMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperiencePackage offerWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Autumn in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- City info
- Travel information
- Tourist Information
- Group travel to Berlin
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Berlin WelcomeCard Package offerThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers