The history of parliamentary democracy in a baroque church
The German Cathedral (Deutscher Dom) on Gendarmenmarkt was built between 1702 and 1708 by architect Martin Grünberg. Destroyed in a fire in 1943, the dome was rebuilt in stages between 1982 and 1996, and now houses the permanent exhibition on parliamentary democracy of the German Bundestag.
The exhibition ‘Wege - Irrwege - Umwege’ (Roads - Meanderings - Detours) illustrates the historical development of the liberal parliamentary system in Germany on five floors. It focuses in particular on those eras in German history, during which the foundations for political order in the Federal Republic were laid.
Displays, documents, photographs and timelines provide an in-depth overview of parliamentary decision-making processes, and the function and methods of representative bodies. Visitors gain valuable insights into the creation, development and work carried out by the political parties in Germany.
Infos for school classes
The Berliner Dom offers tours for school pupils of all ages. Alongside the tour of the dome itself, there are also conducted tours of the crypt, organ and museum. The 90 minute tour costs 35 Euros for groups up to 15 persons, and 60 Euros for groups up to 30 persons. Special conditions apply to groups visiting the dome as part of a religious instruction programme. Prior registration is required in any case.
- SeeAdvertisementMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperienceAdvertisementWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Winter in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- City info
- Travel information
- Tourist Information
- Group travel to Berlin
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Berlin WelcomeCard AdvertisementThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers