for adults off standard admission (€ 6) / children off reduced admission (€ 5) with guided tour or audiogiude (only permanent collection, excl. private royal chambers), children under 7 yrs for free
Pyramids, temples and shell grottos
"Fat good-for-nothing" – not really a flattering nickname, especially for a king. But the people felt that the name suited the hedonistic Friedrich Wilhelm II well. Admittedly, his domestic policy was somewhat lacking. But his understanding of art and architecture – regal. In 1786 he had the New Garden built between the Heiliger See and Jungfernsee lakes in the north of Potsdam: with its Marble Palace, shell grotto, an orangery with an Egyptian gateway, an icehouse in the shape of a pyramid and a palace kitchen in the style of a half-sunken Greek temple. Wörlitz Park had met its match.
Just 30 years on, the "fat good-for-nothing" long gone, the landscape gardener Peter Joseph Lenné came to Potsdam. Still a gardening assistant back then, he began transforming the overgrown park. He created an English-style country park with broad paths, expansive lawns and sweeping vistas of Peacock Island, Glienicke Palace and Babelsberg Palace.
Some 100 years later, between 1914 and 1917, Kaiser Wilhelm II had Schloss Cecilienhof built in the north of the gardens for his son Wilhelm and his wife Cecilie. The use of traditional building materials such as brick and wood helps the house to blend in with its surroundings. The actual size of Schloss Cecilienhof only becomes evident upon closer inspection: the house has a total of 176 rooms. Some of them were used by the Allies in 1945 for their Potsdam Conference.
- SeeMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperiencePackage offerWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Summer in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- City info
- Travel information
- Tourist Information
- Group travel to Berlin
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Berlin WelcomeCard Package offerThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers