Germany`s largest square
Alexanderplatz is one of the most famous squares in Berlin and certainly the largest.
Named after the Russian Czar Alexander I, who visited the capital of Prussia in 1805, "Alex" became a traffic hub when a train station was established there in 1882.
The construction of the Central Market Hall (1886) and Tietz department store between 1904 to 1911 transformed Alexanderplatz into one of the main shopping areas of Berlin. It was even made famous in 1929 by Alfred Doblin's classic novel "Berlin Alexanderplatz."
Alexanderplatz took on its present form in the 1960’s after it had been largely destroyed in World War II. During this time, it was converted into a pedestrian zone with traffic being diverted round it via a four lane street. Also during this time the former Centrum department store was built as well as the Alex Passages and the Berliner Fernsehturm (Berlin TV Tower).
After German reunification occurred, an urban design contest was announced, whose winning design (Hans Kollhoff) called for the demolition of much of today's buildings, thus providing room for the construction of 13 high-rise buildings. However, it has not yet been determined as to whether and how the project will be realised One thing, though, is certain: until further notice, Alexanderplatz is still the largest urban square – in all of Germany.
Explore the Alexanderplatz and other sights of major interest in Berlin with an audioguide. Just order online and upload the audioguide to your MP3 player or iPod. ...more
- SeeAdvertisementMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperienceAdvertisementWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- City info
- Travel information
- Tourist Information
- Group travel to Berlin
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Package Offers
- Berlin WelcomeCard AdvertisementThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers