Even though Berlin's cinemas have had to close their doors, the curtains are not down completely. Some local cinemas offer a great streaming selection of movies that you can now watch from the comfort of your living room. Life might feel like a bad movie right now, but it never hurts to distract yourself a little, especially when - at the same time - you can support your movie theatre around the corner. As many Berlin businesses they are in urgent need of your help and encouragement.
After all, soon your favourite cinema will be back with the motto: Raise the curtain and roll the film!
And one more tip: If you would like to put Berlin on your screen, you'll find plenty of inspiration in our collection of film locations in Berlin.
Yorck Kinos in cooperation with MUBI
If you have a subscription to the Yorck Kino Group, you can now use the streaming service MUBI for free for ninety days. At MUBI you can watch great art house cinema. Every day a selected film goes online, which you can see for thirty days.
To keep the lights on: The Arsenal Institute for Film and Video Art has opened its streaming service to everyone. On their website you can register for Arsenal 3 and watch films from the distribution program.
Support your local movie theatre: vouchers and donations
The crisis is threatening the existence of many cinemas, especially the smaller ones. To help make sure, that the curtain rises again in your favourite movie theatre, you can support them here:
- 33 Berlin art house cinemas have therefore joined forces and launched the support campaign "Fortsetzung: folgt" on Startnext
- The Moviemento Kinos Moviemento, Central and Tonis have issued a special voucher called Kinokalypse to support the cinemas during this difficult time.
- You can support the Yorck Kinos by buying cinema vouchers or a subscription.
- The Lichtblick Kino asks for donations and has set up a donation account.
- There is an initiative for the Bundesplatz cinema via nebenan.de and it has also set up a donation account.
- You can also support your local cinema at Kino on Demand. You will receive a cinema voucher with every fifth visit, which you can redeem when the cinemas open again.
- Or you can just watch commercials on #hilfdeinemkino and support the cinema of your choice.
What do you like to watch most in these times of crisis: a romantic love movie to dream away, a funny comedy to laugh about or a fast-paced action flick to switch off? The Deutsche Kinemathek - Museum für Film und Fernsehen is looking for your online favourites. Post under #QuarantäneKino (#QuarantineCinema) on Facebook or write a short mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your film recommendation in 3-10 sentences, and a short introduction of yourself.
Stay healthy and please stay at home
Here you can find important information about the Current situation in Berlin.
And always remember: "The night is darkest before the dawn. And I promise you the dawn is coming." Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight.