Even though Berlin's cinemas still have to close their doors, the curtains are not down completely. Some local cinemas offer a great streaming selection of movies that you can now watch from the comfort of your living room. Life might feel like a bad movie right now, but it never hurts to distract yourself a little, especially when - at the same time - you can support your movie theatre around the corner. As many Berlin businesses they are in urgent need of your help and encouragement.
After all, soon your favourite cinema will be back with the motto: Raise the curtain and roll the film!
And another tip: If you want to get a real Berlin feeling at home, take a look at our 11 current Berlin movies, which you should stream now.
Your backyard becomes a facade cinema: You can apply for Windowflicks with your backyard, so that a film is projected on the wall of the backyard for you and your neighbours. With the film projection you support the crowdfunding campaign of Berlin's arthouse cinemas - and have a very special cinema experience.
To keep the lights on: The Arsenal Institute for Film and Video Art has opened its streaming service to everyone. On their website you can register for Arsenal 3 and watch films from the distribution program.
Support your local movie theatre: vouchers and donations
The crisis is threatening the existence of many cinemas, especially the smaller ones. To help make sure, that the curtain rises again in your favourite movie theatre, you can support them here:
- 33 Berlin art house cinemas have therefore joined forces and launched the support campaign "Fortsetzung: folgt" on Startnext
- The Moviemento Kinos Moviemento, Central and Tonis have issued a special voucher called Kinokalypse to support the cinemas during this difficult time.
- You can support the Yorck Kinos by buying cinema vouchers or a subscription.
- The Lichtblick Kino asks for donations and has set up a donation account.
- The Bundesplatz cinema has also set up a donation account.
- You can also support your local cinema at Kino on Demand. You will receive a cinema voucher with every fifth visit, which you can redeem when the cinemas open again.
- Or you can just watch commercials on #hilfdeinemkino and support the cinema of your choice.
Soundwatch - Berlin Music Film Festival
Soundwatch - Berlin Music Film Festival has gone online The festival has compiled music documentaries of the last years, some for a fee, some for free.
Deutsche Kinemathek - Museum für Film und Fernsehen
The Deutsche Kinemathek - Museum für Film und Fernsehen is open again. Until June 14th you can visit the permanent exhibition with free admission and take a walk through German film history from silent films to the present day.
And as always: Please keep your distance and observe the hygiene rules!
And always remember: "The night is darkest before the dawn. And I promise you the dawn is coming." Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight.