for adults off standard admission (€ 6) / children off reduced admission (€ 5), free for children up to 7 years
A tour of Germany's history
Schloss Schönhausen in Berlin-Pankow is unique among the landmarks in Berlin, because the Baroque palace has remained standing despite often serving as the stage for important events in German history and politics. Between 1740 and 1797, Schönhausen was the summer residence of Queen Elisabeth Christine, the wife of Prussian King Frederick the Great. She had the palace rebuilt and expanded into a Rococo showpiece. In addition to the grand ballroom and an elegant staircase, the king’s chambers hold valuable tapestries and a cedar gallery. The palace took on a key role in East Germany between 1949 and 1990. Schönhausen was the official residence of GDR President Wilhelm Pieck; after remodelling in 1965, it served as the primary guest house of the East German government. In addition to the completely preserved furniture from Wilhelm Pieck’s office, the state guest suite is presented with its original furnishings from the 1960s. Schönhausen once again played an important role as Germany’s division was coming to an end. In 1990, the central round table discussions leading to reunification were held in the presidential quarters.
Schloß Schönhausen has created several items especially for visitors with disabilities. People with visual impairments will find objects that they can touch, including a tangible model of the palace and a replica of a court lady's dress. Those with hearing impairments can use a video guide in German sign language. There are also display cases at heights suitable for wheelchair users. Visitors without disabilities can also try out these offers from 23 October.
- SeeMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperiencePackage offerWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- City info
- Travel information
- Tourist Information
- Group travel to Berlin
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Package Offers
- Berlin WelcomeCard Package offerThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers