for adults off standard admission (€ 6) / children off reduced admission (€ 5), free for children up to 7 years
A tour of Germany's history
Built back in the 17th century, Schloss Schönhausen has had a turbulent history.
Wilhelm Pieck, the first president of the GDR, had his official residence here. It became the GDR government's official guesthouse in 1964. The guest apartment with its dressing room, bedrooms and bathrooms has largely retained its original condition. Everything is in strong colours and ultra-modern style – as a demonstration of the GDR's progressiveness. International visitors such as Indira Gandhi, Fidel Castro and Mikhail Gorbachev slept here. The same rooms were later used for the "round table" meetings during the regime change in 1990. And soon afterwards the Allied Forces held their "Two Plus Four" discussions here to decide the terms of the German Reunification.
After a long period of renovation, it was finally opened to the public again at the end of 2009 and now offers visitors a host of contrasts and new departures – a tour of three centuries of German history.
The exhibition on the ground floor focuses in particular on Queen Elisabeth Christine. The wife of Frederick the Great used the palace in the 18th century for a long time as her summer residence. Her rooms have been restored to their original splendour: the chairs, mirrors, paintings and even wall coverings are all back where they used to be.
Schloß Schönhausen has created several items especially for visitors with disabilities. People with visual impairments will find objects that they can touch, including a tangible model of the palace and a replica of a court lady's dress. Those with hearing impairments can use a video guide in German sign language. There are also display cases at heights suitable for wheelchair users. Visitors without disabilities can also try out these offers from 23 October.
- SeeAdvertisementMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperienceAdvertisementWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Winter in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- City info
- Travel information
- Tourist Information
- Group travel to Berlin
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Berlin WelcomeCard AdvertisementThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers